At this point we shall assume you have made up your mind about the area and location.

When a piece of land is shown to you, the person showing you the parcel of land is very important. Is he an agent, the landowner himself or otherwise? If an agent, you should demand to see the true owner. Upon seeing the true owner, you should request evidence of ownership. This evidence depends on what is really available.

Find out whether the land is government acquired or is a family/community land or a personal land. You may at this point begin negotiation for the price while any payment will be subject to your verification of the claims made by the vendor.


Verification of Land Ownership

  • Request for a photocopy of any title document available. Ask a lawyer to make a search on your behalf at the land registry (this could save you lots of problem in future). However this search at the Lands Office Town Planning Section may not always be the case.


  • Make independent investigation on your own by going to people living around the land you are about to buy on a one- on-one basis. For instance, during my for will search with respect to a property offered to me, the man living close to the land (about three plots away) told me that he was forced to pay for his land three times before he could take complete possession. With such information, you could guess what my next move was after the information – negotiations! discussions were terminated.


The landowner will be willing to give you photocopies of any title documents. There will be no negative report on the land and the; vendor.

There will be no subtle pressure, urging you to effect payment as quickly as possible because other people are on the queue for the land.

Payment may be by cheque or bank draft.

–        There will be no negative report from the land registry.

–        A word from someone familiar with the area or people living in the area might be available.

Example of title Documents

(i)      Deed to conveyance (this was in use before the coming into effect of the Land Use Act of 1976)

(ii)      Certificate of Occupancy (C of O)

(iii)     Deed of assignment of sublease

(iv)     Statutory Right of Occupancy (issued by the local government)

(v)      Family receipt